YesMDR (Yamaha Electone Simple Music-Disk-Recorder) built with YAD (Yet Another Dialog)
- Last Update: July 24th, 2022
YesMDR (Yamaha Electone Simple Music-Disk-Recorder) is a free/libre and open Project (GNU GPL v.3) which targets the owners of the ‘vintage’:
– Yamaha Electone Series (MIDI organs) marketed worldwide between ~ 1986 and 2001, and
– Yamaha Music Disk Recorder (MDR) device peripherals marketed worldwide between ~ 1986 and 1996.
This version of YesMDR (here a shell script with GUI) ‘should run’ under any free/libre GNU/Linux operating systems such as:
– ARCH Linux & all their derivatives-flavors like Manjaro Linux, Endeavour OS and even Manjaro-Arm,
– DEBIAN & all their derivatives-flavors like Ubuntu, Linux Mint, MX Linux, Pop!_OS, Elementary, Deepin Linux, Zorin and even Raspberry Pi OS (Arm),
– RED HAT & all their derivatives-flavors like Fedora and others,
– SUSE & all their derivatives-flavors like openSUSE and others, and
– Surely much more.
Note: YesMDR (Yad) is built on top of YesXR (Yad), see here for more details.
NOTE: The YesMDR (Yad) project is delayed due to the fact that the Alsa-utils are not providing the expected features in the area of MIDI Live Performance, for both recording and playing, despite they are okay for both MIDI/USB Interfaces and Bulk Data Dump (SysEx) as used in the YesXR (Yad) project.
Currently several other MIDI command-line utilities, like MidiSh – ReceiveMidi/SendMidi and others, are under investigation to see if they could properly handle Live Performance as well as Bulk Data Dump (All-RAM) and MIDI/USB Interfaces.
♦ Quick Presentation
YesMDR is -a MIDI utility software- which is handling:
• [A] – ‘All-RAM Data’; i.e. Registrations & other Non-Performance data,
• [B] – ‘Performance Data’ (Channels 1-to-16); i.e. Everything relative to Notes, Program Change (PC), Control Change (CC), etc., and
• [C] – ‘Rhythm Start/Stop and other Real-time Data’,
of the compatible Yamaha Electone ‘Vintage’ Series.
Yamaha Music Disk Recorder (MDR):
• [A] = ONLY Recording / Playback All-RAM data on the Yamaha MDRs.
• [B] + [C] = CUSTOM Recording / Playback on the Yamaha MDRs.
• [A] + [B] + [C] = NORMAL Recording / Playback on the Yamaha MDRs.
* Consult the User’s Guide or Owner’s Manuel of the Yamaha Music Disk Recorder peripheral devices.
YesMDR could be used as a partial replacement or substitution of the Yamaha ‘Music Disk Recorder’ peripheral devices (MDR-2 / MDR-3 / MDR-4 / MDR-10) designed exclusively for Yamaha Electone Series use, -but their file formats will not be compatible-.
♦ Release date forecast ?
• The first available αlpha version of YesMDR (here a shell script with YAD’s GUI) could be released if I found an appropriate command-line MIDI utility that will properly handle Live Performance sessions, for both recording and playing…