Simple MIDI Sequencer (SMS)
Simple MIDI Sequencer (SMS) is a real-time MIDI & Audio Sequencer offering all the basic functions needed by musicians for easily recording and playing back their performances on any computer
• The current version of SMS is the 0.2.12 (4th release – 1st βeta).
|DOWNLOAD ===>||simple-midi-sequencer-0212.zip||Build.20200212||File size ~ 44 KB|
SMS’s GUI is optimized for 16/9 screens with 1,920 x 1,080 resolution. As its GUI is freely zoomable on 15 levels + full screen without any definition loss, the performer can easily adapt it to her/his specific screen/taste. Bigger will be the screen better will be the readability.
Before using SMS under GNU/Linux, macOS or Windows, Purr Data v.2.10.0 or higher must be installed on your computer. The MIDI project consists of 2 files: the program itself (a main module with about 8 integrated sub-modules) and a SMS image. The whole thing weighs only about 100 KB, of which 1/5 is for the image. These 2 files, after decompression, are to be deposited into the folder of your choice on your computer.
Once on your computer, to run SMS, simply double-click on its *.pd file which will first launch Purr Data and then the program itself. And you are ready to go!
As always, the SMS project can be used as it is or freely modified – adapted by anyone to her/his particular taste. Do It Yourself (DIY) and tailor Simple MIDI Sequencer to your particular needs and to your MIDI/Audio environment.
• The publication of the next βeta release of the SMS project is forecasted sometime during April 2020.
SMS under GNU/Linux
♦ For a global vision of the project, please consult the articles about SMS (only in English)
2020/02/13 — Simple MIDI Sequencer (SMS) v.0.2.12
with Audio Recording capability and cross-platform
- 4th release – 1st βeta
- The Control Panel is zoomable on 15 levels plus full screen, without any definition loss. This is true on all the 3 supported operating systems: GNU/Linux, macOS and Windows. Thanks to Purr Data’s modern GUI which is using the latest Web technology.
- Manually create and/or edit a MIDI.txt file compatible with SMS.
- MIDI Flow Display was completed by adding an On/Off switch, a MIDI-In/Out (Midi-Thru) capability and the possibility to display SysEx-In traffic (if any).
- Tips about free/libre Music Engraving Software.
- Audio/Voice Recorder & Player support now two kind of codecs:
– 1st one is for .wav (Microsoft) + .aif (Apple) + .au & .snd (Sun) sound files, and
– 2nd one is for .ogg (free and open format) sound files.
This module can also playback compatible sound files which were recorded with other audio recorders.
- Audio/MIDI Toolbox has now Midi-In On/Off switches for both Chords Detector/Guesser and Midi-To-Frequency Converter tools.
2020/01/30 — SMS v.0.2.9
- 3rd release – αlpha
- Audio Module
- A second VU-Meter was added. Now VUs display both left and right audio channels level.
- The Stereo/Mono switch works now correctly in all Recording / Playing / Monitoring modes.
- Some minor tweaks have been also done by adding dedicated status Leds for REC/PLAY in both Sequencer and Audio modules.
- MIDI/Audio Tools module was added offering 4 useful functions to the performer:
- Chords Detector/Guesser
- Notes Scaler
- MIDI-to-Frequency Converter
- Frequency-to-MIDI Converter
2020/01/19 — SMS v.0.2.7
- 2nd release – αlpha
- Universal MIDI Sequencer
- A RST (reset button) was added.
- Now LOAD File / SAVE File stop the Recording / Playing operation in progress, if any.
- MIDI Flow Display
- Bug fix: wrong display of the Octave Nb if it was different of Middle C = 4. The Octave range has also been extended from 8 to 9 by adding one low octave.
- SX-IN (system exclusive) values display was added as SMS can also record SYSEX messages, in add to standard MIDI messages (Notes, PC, CC).
- MIDI PC & CC Controllers: The performer can now set up individually the Channel Nb for each of the 5 pairs of CC (Control Change) controllers. This allows, when needed, for the 4 pairs of CC (1-8) to easily manage the MSB/LSB values for a given pair of CC.
- Audio/Voice Recorder/Player
- It can be used in Standalone or in Synchro mode (the MIDI switch) with the MIDI sequencer. In both cases, the Audio is recorded (with CD quality) and saved directly to disk. DSP (the Audio engine of Purr Data) is automatically put in either ON or OFF mode when the performer is doing appropriate actions.
- Bug fix: a constant time shift of 2 seconds in both Recording and Playing mode.
2020/01/10 — SMS v.0.2.5
- 1st release – αlpha
- POC – Proof of concept
SMS MIDI/Audio configuration under GNU/Linux
with M-Audio Uno + VMPK + Catia (Cadence) + jackEQ + Qsynth
SMS MIDI/Audio configuration under GNU/Linux
with M-Audio Uno + Patchage + jackEQ + Qsynth
SMS Midi-to-Audio copy under GNU/Linux
with Virtual Midi Piano Keyboard (VMPK)